Leah and Mary are two of my favorite people so, naturally, I was thrilled when they asked me to give their readers my top spring beauty must-haves. Check out the full story HERE.
Do you have a bitch face? Is there someone in your class trying to cheat off of you? Need some cheap date ideas for your college boyfriend, apparently whom you’re “courting”? These are just a few of the burning questions that I help Leah and Mary answer in this week’s edition of “Cheers To That.” I love these girls, and you will too…so make sure to subscribe to their channel stat. And also check out their blog, AFabLife.com…today, my spring beauty must-haves are up on the site!
I will never forget the moment when a guy said to me “what are you goth now? Why are you wearing black nail polish?”
The answer? It was 2006…and CHANEL “black satin” was all the rage. I mean, sure, mine was totally the Wet n’ Wild version (cause I’m cheap and lazy) but still…black nails were SO HAUTE that he didn’t even know it. The problem is this: when you wear black (or really any dark nail polish color) it gets stuck in the corners of your nails. For real. I thought it was just me, cause I’m sloppy, but turns out…it’s everyone. Here’s a trick that I recently picked up from a manicurist:
Use an old makeup brush, dipped in nail polish remover, to scrub off the remnants of your dark polish! I’m liking Stila Double Ended Smudge Brush #28 since you get TWO choices: one is flat and short, and the other is long and thin…making it easy to get into every nook and dark polish cranny.
Ok, so I’m a big believer that there really isn’t an answer to the “best” mother’s day gift, since the “best” gift really depends on your mother. But hey, these are gifts that I know MY mom would absolutely love…and that’s good enough for me.
1. Maya Brenner Letter Necklace: What’s not to love about the initials of your children (Jamie and Melissa)?! I feel like any mother would adore these dainty necklaces.
2. Jouer Cosmetics Deluxe Leather Train Case: I don’t know about you guys but my mom’s makeup case is a complete disaster. I want to get my mom something classic, simple and chic for her to store her daily makeup products.
3. Flavor Infused Water Bottle: Unlike myself, my mom doesn’t really like drinking water. From what I hear, infusing water with fruit seems to help the anti-water people get it down in a somewhat enjoyable way.
4. Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer: I don’t think my mom has purchased a new blow dryer since the early 90s, which is exactly why I want to get my mom a super modern, turbo-infused blow dryer that will literally knock her socks off.
5. Pottery Barn Glass Cloche Jewelry Storage: There’s something really elegant and whimsical about this jewelry holder and, funny enough, my mom’s name starts with an “A,” so I can already imagine what my mom’s jewels will look like in this holder.
I’m pretty excited to start my new YouTube feature, “BATTLE OF,” the brain child of Ms. Kristen Turner. This week, I’m testing out Neutrogena Makeup Removing Cleansing Towelettes- Night Calming vs. Yes To Cucumbers Facial Towelettes, so make sure to watch the video above to see which product wins! Also, make sure to subscribe to my channel- new videos every Thursday! xo
I don’t usually feature too many men’s products on here but since John Krasinski is definitively one of my celeb crushes, I had to share his beauty (or grooming, I suppose) secret from getting ready for The Met Gala. Aside from being one of the most gorgeous couples there (Emily Blunt in Carolina Herrera), John’s hair stylist, Ashley Streicher, dished on how she created John’s red-carpet look. “John and I both loved the subtle clean fragrance in the ZIRH products we used, they made him feel clean and like we weren’t layering on heavy products…”
Here’s the breakdown of how “The Office” star gets red-carpet ready:
- Earlier in the day, Ashley prepped John’s skin with ZIRH CLEAN Face Wash, a simple non- drying gel formula.
- Next, she applied ZIRH Platinum R2 REVOLUTION to calm any redness.
- ZIRH Platinum AGE DEFENSE Environmental Response Cream was used as his moisturizer and acted like a great barrier for the light makeup used for the day. It protected John’s skin, but still kept it moisturized.
- After lightly cleansing with the CLEAN mild face wash again later in the day, Ashley applied ZIRH Platinum REVIVE Under Eye Complex to smooth out the eye area and relax any puffiness.
- The eye cream was followed by the lightweight but silky ZIRH Platinum TOTAL RECHARGE Face Serum that recharged his skin making it look healthy and attractive, without a built up feeling of a heavy moisturizer. It gave a perfect smooth base for his skin, making it almost seem tightened.
- John’s new bearded look was the perfect accessory to his beautifully built Tom Ford suit! The ZIRH Platinum TOTAL RECHARGE Face Serum helped coiff and smooth the beard while still leaving it clean looking!
I love, love, loooove The MET Gala. Why is it different from any other celebrity party? Well, for one, the fashion is always way more avant garde and this year the theme was “PUNK: From Chaos to Couture.” YES. While there were some “WTF was she thinking” outfits, I’m completely in love with these three looks:
1. Blake Lively: Blake, who claims that she doesn’t have a stylist, worked with Gucci Première to design this amazing dress that kind of makes me think of Black Swan. Her makeup in word word? Flawless. Her makeup artist, Elaine Offers, used NARS on Blake. “It starts with Blake’s signature approach: luminous beautiful skin,” said Offers about the look she created for Blake. “We created a serious eye shape as a nod to the punk theme by building on a smoky eye and winging it outward. With the diaphanous layers of her skirt and a light lip, it comes together as being both glamorous and edgy.”
2. Anne Hathaway: To be perfectly honest, I was so not impressed with Anne’s look from the Oscars but guys, she totally killed it in this Valentino dress, complete with Debbie Harry-inspired platinum blonde hair. Anne’s makeup also looks totally flawless and, according to her makeup artist, Adam Bereuchaud, he used Laura Mercier on the actress. Specifcally, Breuchaud gave a subtle nod to the event’s punk theme by creating a bold, “electric blue” smoky eye to complement Anne’s flawless, porcelain skin.
3. Gwen Stefani: To no surprise, I clearly love what my girl Gwen wore to the gala (a Maison Martin Margiela cut-out gown and Fred Leighton jewels). I can’t think of anyone more appropriate than the punk rock princess herself.