It’s no secret that I have an obsession with my 4-year-old nephew, Mark. He’s adorable, he’s smart, he’s…related to me. It’s pretty simple, really. Not that I’m any kind of aunt-ing (yes, I made that up) expert or anything, but I’ve noticed there are really only four things that you need to be the best aunt ever.
1. An iPhone: There’s no better distraction than an iPhone and/or iPad. My nephew discovered the Cake Doodle app on my iPhone and refused to give my phone back to me until the battery actually died.
2. Cute clothes for him/her: I’ve learned that the nephew has a thing for sharks (who doesn’t?) and the faux lifeguard t-shirt was just too cute to pass up. Really, anything at The Children’s Place is great because the clothes are adorable and cheap.
3. Yes To BABY Carrots Face + Nose Wipes: These are positively genius. After spending a week here in LA with the little booger machine, these are a LIFE SAVER. As an aunt, I feel like I’m not really obligated to hold my nephew’s used tissues and these are 98% natural and even contain Vitamin E.
4. A Spiderman juice cup: Kids need their juice cups, that’s a fact. Since Mark is obsessed with all things superhero, I knew that this Spiderman version would be a winner. No complaints during juice time, that’s for sure.
To say that I was a child obsessed with jelly sandals would be too mild a statement to make. I was beyond obsessed. I wore them in the winter…with socks…in New York. Yep (see photo below). Then there’s that. So yeah, I have to be honest and admit that I kind of love that the whole jelly sandal/jelly accessory look is still chic. Here are my favorites:
1. Nasty Gal Light Bright Bag: This bag reminds me of the purse that I had to use when I worked retail. You know the one…it proved that we weren’t stealing anything from the store. Somehow, I love the pink version more.
4. Stuart Weissman “Jealous” Sandal: These are probably the closest to the 80s version that i’ve seen in awhile…and yeah, they are pricey, but I can’t tell you that I wouldn’t buy them, purely to re-live my youth.
Do you have a bitch face? Is there someone in your class trying to cheat off of you? Need some cheap date ideas for your college boyfriend, apparently whom you’re “courting”? These are just a few of the burning questions that I help Leah and Mary answer in this week’s edition of “Cheers To That.” I love these girls, and you will too…so make sure to subscribe to their channel stat. And also check out their blog, AFabLife.com…today, my spring beauty must-haves are up on the site!
When I saw this article on Fashionista, I got legit giddy. Why? Because I got my belly button pierced in 2001 and literally JUST took it out for a week…and what happened? The top hole closed up. In ONE WEEK. WTF?
I stand by my decision here, ok? While I’m definitely not going to get my naval re-pierced (for the THIRD time, mind you), I still think belly button rings need to come back. Let me be jealous of it. Admittedly, I have gotten a few eyebrow raises, especially over the past two or three years, but I always took it with stride. Then BAM- Beyonce rocks a belly ring in her latest H&M ad. So take that, haters.
The belly button ring is BACK (almost).
Let’s make it happen, guys.
Me and my friend Carleigh (and our belly button rings) on spring break 2005
Ok, so I’m a big believer that there really isn’t an answer to the “best” mother’s day gift, since the “best” gift really depends on your mother. But hey, these are gifts that I know MY mom would absolutely love…and that’s good enough for me.
1. Maya Brenner Letter Necklace: What’s not to love about the initials of your children (Jamie and Melissa)?! I feel like any mother would adore these dainty necklaces.
2. Jouer Cosmetics Deluxe Leather Train Case: I don’t know about you guys but my mom’s makeup case is a complete disaster. I want to get my mom something classic, simple and chic for her to store her daily makeup products.
3. Flavor Infused Water Bottle: Unlike myself, my mom doesn’t really like drinking water. From what I hear, infusing water with fruit seems to help the anti-water people get it down in a somewhat enjoyable way.
4. Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer: I don’t think my mom has purchased a new blow dryer since the early 90s, which is exactly why I want to get my mom a super modern, turbo-infused blow dryer that will literally knock her socks off.
5. Pottery Barn Glass Cloche Jewelry Storage: There’s something really elegant and whimsical about this jewelry holder and, funny enough, my mom’s name starts with an “A,” so I can already imagine what my mom’s jewels will look like in this holder.
You know when you meet someone and you just instantly want to become their best friend? Ross Mathews is one of those people. I am beyond excited that his first book is available now (!) and I’m even more excited to read it. The book party, held at Sunset Marquis in Hollywood, was intimate and amazing. Ross referred to the party as his “book mitvah” and Jay Leno and Chelsea Handler each gave a speech, basically reinforcing what everyone already knows: Ross Mathews is amazing and one to watch in Hollywood. Make sure you also keep an eye out for his new show on E!, which will be called “Hello Ross.”
It’s almost Cinco de Mayo, which means you have until Sunday to master this recipe. After years of consuming margaritas (you are welcome), here’s what I consider to be the BEST margarita ever. What are some of your favorite cocktail recipes?
2 oz Tequila
1 oz fresh lime
3/4 oz Triple Sec
1 tsp simple syrup (1:1 sugar to water)
Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake vigorously
Salt rims (you don’t have to, but I love a salted rim) using lime juice